This video is all about whether Google still recommends 100 links or fewer pages. Matt cutts discusses that the basis for the 100 links per page rule is simple. Google is only able to index about 101 kilobytes of a page. When placing more than 100 links on a page, there is a great possibility that some of these will be truncated and will not be indexed. Hence, Google establishes the 100 links per page, which is roughly the estimate for the 101 kilobytes capability to index a certain page. This rule had been included in the technical guidelines of Google about 8 to 9 years ago. This guideline enables Google to allow users to place more than 100 links in a page without considering it as a spam.
This video highlights the following points:
- Google has removed the 100-link per page rule. If you observed the current situation, you would find that there is no limit anymore to the number of links that a person can place in a particular page.
- Despite the removal of the 100-link rule, Google deems it ill advise to place more than a hundred links in a page. For one, it would be considered as a bad user experience if you deluge a page with links. Moreover, it would look like as if you have a farm of links in there if you will place a couple of hundreds or thousands of links in a page.
- Google takes the page rank of a page into consideration. Hence, even without the 100-link per page rule, it would still be not good practice to place many links in a page. The page rank of your page would be literally affected if you flood your page with links, say about 500 links. The page rank evaluation says that you will need to divide by the out degree. This means that you divide that page’ page rank by 500 when you look at the outgoing links. This will hurt your SEO ranking.
In order to achieve better ranking you should do the following:
- Do not place many links in your page since it would not necessarily mean that you would increase your page rank with more than a hundred links in a page. Chances are, Google would not be indexed all of it.
- Work on creating a persuasive content that would entice high quality links that would be a lot more than placing low-quality links in your page.
- Quality is more important than quantity when it comes to links in your site. Find the pages that contain information that is more vital and elevate such in your site. Place your quality links in such page.
You can click here for more information on building quality backlinks.