Google view on website content
This video talks about the samples of thin content on websites with a little or no added value. Matt Cutts enumerated examples namely doorways, thin affiliates, and syndication and described each one of those. He also gave advices on how to improve the site without using these thin contents such as adding features and posting unique and sensible articles.
The video highlight the following points:
1) One of the examples of thin content with little or no added value is the doorways. These sites vary in kind from classic doorway page to a more subtle doorway. As an illustration, the former is a site which redirects to ton of pages but with almost the same content just a slight distinction in the phrases or keywords used. Meanwhile, an example of the latter is a direct TV installer in Denver which has different pages yet has the same content. The only difference is the cities in the sites conspicuous only after landing on 4-5 pages.
2) Affiliate programs occur when a person refers or endorses a certain program, sites, products, etc. in exchange of a commission or a fee. These affiliates add value. For an instance, a person talks about academic textbooks and citing the pros and cons of each and then linking to an online shop like Amazon, for example. These kind of reviews usually add value to sites unlike the thin affiliates which simply grabs content from an affiliate feed without even adding an original content like insights, reviews, videos, etc.
3) Syndication is another kind of thin content with very little value. It is quite similar to the aforementioned example whereas it simply grabs low quality articles from websites that offer free syndication of such. This activity adds no value to the site since it will be similar to thousands of other sites on the web.
In order to achieve better ranking, you should:
1) Remove any thin contents from your site because is not desired by the people causing them to report it to the Google Web Spam team. Moreover, it is frustrating on the users’ part since they are looking for an actual content or something that makes sense.
2) Add unique content on your site which does not mean that you simply spin an article you grabbed from a site but rather talk about something that you had experienced yourself and you are really interested in sharing it. These are the attributes of the site that Google wanted to rank on their searches.
3) Make your website compelling. It is most advisable to add an original content rather than focus on building links or SEO. Add features like videos, images, and unique articles which have a large value. (You can refer to our home page www.impossible.sg as an example as we have videos, images and original articles)