Websites normally have different links featured on their pages. We know that anchor text links can help our users to navigate our website better. However, will too much of the same anchor text links hurt our website ranking?
A concerned web master sent this query to Matt Cutts:
“Do internal website links with exact match keyword anchor text hurt a website? These links help our users navigate our website properly. Are too many internal links with the same anchor text likely to result in a ranking downgrade because of Penguin?”
Matt Cutts, Google’s head of its web spam search team highlight the following points:
- He said that internal links, would “typically not” hurt any website’s rankings or put them into trouble.
- For those with normal websites that contain breadcrumbs and internal links that help their users navigate through their website better, these websites are in good shape.
- There would be those that would take things a bit too far – with a zillion links on the website in which it is totally unnatural. From this, Google will take action on the website.
In order to get higher SEO rankings, you should:
- Use a normal website structure to construct and maintain your website. This will ensure your internal links are natural. Always remember not to exaggerate your internal links.
- Use anchor text links and link to other pages in your website to help users to navigate better. This makes your website user-friendly. It does not matter how many internal links you have in your website, what matters is the quality of those links and their ability to help your users navigate through your website better.