This video tackles the subject of the importance of keywords in a domain name. The speaker discusses the merits of a keyword laden domain in terms of increasing your page rank, being easily seen by search engines and thus by millions of users who might be interested in the products or services you are offering in your site. However, he also deliberates on the advantage of opting for other powerful strategies that does not necessitate placing keywords in your domain name.
This video highlights the following points:
- It is definitely possible to succeed in your online endeavour without having a keyword-laden domain name.
- Google is planning to adjust the mix, which is not to give too much emphasis on domain names that are keyword-laden, which is the practice since the beginning of its existence.
- Instead of placing keywords in your domain name, you can opt to use a word or group of words that are brand-able or easily remembered by people. Using words or domain name that sticks in people’s minds easily is proven just as effective or even more. These domain names are not even remotely describing the particular product or services they are offering yet they have succeeded in making people remember them easily. Take for instance Facebook, Twitter, Digg, Techcrunch, Zynga, Reddit, Yahoo and Google to name just a few.
In order to increase your Search Engine Optimization ranking you should do the following:
- Since both strategies, that is having a keyword-laden domain name and having a brand-able domain name works, you can have the option to use either of the two. You just have to ascertain what particular strategy will work for the type of business you have and know your aspirations so that you can align that with the tactic you are going to employ.
- If you are not sure what strategy would work better for you, consider these factors before deciding. You should define your goals and what you are interested in so that you will better know what strategy to take.