This video discusses the common mistakes committed by people in using the disavow links tool. Matt cutts points out that they chose the most common mistakes that they see in using this tool and share his thoughts and techniques on how to avoid it. Moreover, he discussed the limitation of the parser and how its system works as a guide to the people who uses this tool.
This video highlights the following points:
- The most common error done by the people in using Disavow links tool is uploading the files in Word files (.doc) and excel spreadsheets (.xls) format which cannot be handled by the parser.
- People who uses the Disavow links tool for the first time tend to pick out the bad links very specifically or picking the individual URLs instead of the domain. It causes these people to overlook a lot of bad links.
- There are also problems with regards to the syntax of the domain colon. Improper arrangement is common among the users of this tool.
- Instead of in the consideration request, users tend to put the documentation, story, or context for the reconsideration request in the .txt file that they are uploading.
- The method of the people in using this tool is that when they put the story on top of the file, commenting the first line and copy pasting for the preceding line. There is a very high likelihood that there will be an error in the copy and paste process which leaves some lines not commented. It will lead the parser to think that it is a bad file and should be rejected therefore the reconsideration request will not go through.
- People think that the disavow links tool will solve all of their problems and not putting any more effort in cleaning the actual web.
In order to achieve better SEO ranking you should:
- Upload the file in a .txt format which is recognized by the parser
- Deep check the links instead of picking the individual URLs
- Follow the proper format of the syntax which is domain colon then the domain name like example.com, mattcutt.com.
- Put the documentation or story in the reconsideration request not on the .txt file uploaded.
- Avoid using very long or multiple line comments but instead opt for shorter ones.
- Exert own effort in cleaning the links yourself that will show them that you are exerting and effort